Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Edmonton: The Last Frontier to the North

 Edmonton was once known as the city of champions...What makes this city tick now?

Town Hall
It is the end of August. Typically, it is still warm in the northern hemisphere in August/September. Vancouver fluctuates between rain and sun, but it is usually still warm until mid-September. Edmonton on the other hand is a little more northern and a little more chilly. It was 11 degrees on my birthday. Adelaide, which is experiencing its coldest winter on record was 15.3 degrees. Not only have I moved to a province that looks exactly like it could be a city in Australia, but it has a summer temperature that is on par to Adelaide's winter. I'm starting to get nervous for the real Edmontonian winter to set in! Global warming? Not in this part of the world...Apparently, it has been predicted that it will be a snowy, cold, long winter. All is not lost, though. I am secretly looking forward to wintry window scenes, to make me feel like I am living in a snow-globe. I love snow-shoeing and am considering learning how to cross-country ski. The Rockies are a mere 4 hours away. Often, we would make a jaunt to Kelowna which was 4 hours from Vancouver. It will be all too easy to get to know this part of Canada. I can hear my Vancouver friends scoff; but my bravery is real. I'm going to forge ahead and overcome the fact that Chad and I were ripped prematurely from our safe Vancouver womb filled with a mild climate, easy access to international locations, delicious multicultural food, friendly faces and a stunning landscape where craggy mountains meet an inviting ocean. I am going to find a soul in the city dubbed 'Dead-monton'.
Town Hall
Local Edmontonians still seem in high spirits though. It is a city of interesting people- watching. Tattoos seem to be popular, as do heavy metal punks; it is not uncommon to see a full punk complete with dyed pink Mohawk cruising down Whyte Ave on a Saturday afternoon.The Fringe festival was amazing and great to see such energy, vigor and support for the local and visiting artists. If you are in Vancouver, be sure to catch Wunderlust and 7(x1) Samurai. I usually have an aversion to watching 1-man shows, but the two actors are talented story-tellers and physically interesting to watch. In particular, 7(x1) Samurai re-tells Kurosawa's masterpiece and turns it into a comedic journey incorporating the physicality of a loony-tune cartoon.
Downtown Buildings on a Warm Summer's Day
Mostly, I am  looking forward to seeing how the landscape changes. I have to take hold of this opportunity and remain optimistic that this place has a lot to offer; why else would a landlocked city exist here? 

Here are some pictures from my time in Edmonton so far:
(The dragon shoots fire from his mouth every hour...)

On a trip to the Strathcona Farmer's Market I happened across a Medieval society dueling presentation run by the 'Living Backwards' group.
Hudson's Pub sells 'Boneless Chicken Wings'. Dubious and curious, I ordered them. My suspicions were correct: chicken breast cut into small pieces deep-fried and sauced.

The drive to Edmonton was impressive as always. Hoping to continue to explore the Rockies over the next two years.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: