Friday, October 29, 2010

Last Days of Autumn in Vancouver

View from Chamir Chalet
It is so much more fun to be a tourist in Vancouver than to actually live in the city. I'm not saying this to make it okay that I moved away from Vancouver, but when you are in the daily grind and commuting in heavy traffic it leaves very little time to just enjoy the surrounding environment and the seaside vistas.

This trip wasn't really a planned holiday. It was more of an 'escape to save my sanity' adventure. The Edmonton honeymoon period is over; life is getting boring and mundane. I have run out of intellectual Vampire novels to read. Cleaning while watching The View is more glib than convincing.  One day, I found myself in Chapters scouring the self-help section flipping through novels titled 'How to live a Happy life' so I decided to book a trip to Vancouver while Chad went to San Antonio for a conference. Lucky that I did. It gave me a chance to collect and rebuild my sense of self, spend copious amounts of time inhaling the sea water and eating good Dim Sum and Japanese food whilst reflecting on my time spent in Edmonton so far.The more I leave a place, the more I can put my time there into perspective, to see what I have and what I haven't done yet. I came back more excited about living on the Prairies and experiencing a different Canada.

But before we get to enjoying the snowy prairies, Vancouver treated me to its final days of Autumn - blue sky days and colourful leaves, spectacular 'pee your pants' sunsets and sunrises. Staying at the Chamir Chalet overlooking the water and mountains gave me ample opportunity to run on the sea wall and to reconnect with moisture. My Edmonton dust cough dried up. My hang-nails disappeared. JJ Bean and Intelligensia coffee kept me lubricated and energized. Fig and blue cheese martini's from Chambar revitalized and soothed my weary soul. Kirin Dim Sum and Shiro Japanese satiated my hunger. 

I took almost 1000 pictures in 4 days. It was a good trip. Here are the some of the photos I took. The rest are posted to Flickr. Enjoy!
 Enjoying the Peruvian Pan Flute

Fig and Blue Cheese Martini, Chambar

Tapas plates from Chambar

Sanity Restoring Evening at Chambar

Lighthouse Park
Jenniwa from Suweto

Lighthouse Park: Taken by Tamir

Oh Myles.

Yay for Autumn!

Building Inukshuks

False Creek








Cool art piece at Kit's Point. It is meant to be frozen water.

A choice moment in time.

My attempt at an impressionist piece.








Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Charmaine Poulin said...

You are truly an artist! I love all of your shots & it's making me excited for our visit to Vancouver soon. My sister-in-law just moved from Kits to North Van and is trying to get used to Suburbia! I'm glad you were able to have an escape from the mundane....I have the opposite problem at my house......hoping to find a way to extend my days while still getting 6-7 hours of sleep at night. Best....Charmaine

Jenniwa said...

The pics are fabulous - love the colours and composition. We want more!