Thursday, October 14, 2010

Horsing About

Lucky for us, we have relatives here in Edmonton that have helped to make the transition to our little Prairie town easy. Chad's cousins live in Leduc/Calmar area, just south of Edmonton. It takes about 45 minutes to get to Jacklyn's farm. I jumped at the opportunity to go out to visit Jacklyn and to take photos of her beautiful horses, cats and dog.

Gonzo, the larger of the two brown horses was the friendlier of the two. He gallantly posed and held very still while I snapped super close-ups. At one point, he looked down the barrel of the camera and just moved his head up and down as if the spirit of Tyra Banks was whispering in his ear, "Give the photographer something to work with. Up, down, left right...think and emote with your eyes". As a result, I have many cliche eye shots, but when I was so close to him, it was like I could see into his soul. How could I resist taking shot after shot of his gorgeous eyes? His lashes were long and delicate. His nose soft and velvety. I'm going a bit 'Secretariat: Diane Lane' on you, but it was a special moment to be so close to such a massively powerful animal. This animal was the top of his class. He appears in rodeos all over the country. I couldn't help but be entranced by his almighty presence.


















Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Charmaine Poulin said...

Gorgeous!!!! I could live somewhere like that!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, what a beautiful place.

Kristina Clemens said...

*GASP* These pictures are amazing! Love, love, love them!
Kristina J.