Saturday, October 09, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Most of the ingredients I used
Every thanksgiving since I arrived in Canada, I have made Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Pecan Pie. The first recipe is from my talented Chef friend, Anne. Although the recipe itself comes from the back of the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie can that she received from her mother whilst living in Japan, every time I make it I know that the spirit of Anne's baking ability is channeled through the recipe that I have painstakingly stuck in my recipe book.
The recipe hand written in my recipe book

Pie Crust 
(double the recipe if you are making both the Pumpkin Pie and Choc. Pecan Pie on the same day)
1 cup flour
1 tablesp. sugar
1/8 teasp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 1/2 tablesp. cold water
1.2 teasp. vanilla

Directions
Place dry ingredients in bowl. Combine well. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Add water and vanilla. Pulse until dough just comes together. Form a disk and cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 15 minutes. Roll dough crust out on a floured surface into a 12 inch circle. Fit the dough into a 9 inch pie plate. Refrigerate.




It isn't a good idea to use an electric mixer to 'pulse' the dough. It worked a little too well. Be prepared to spend some time unsticking it from the whisks.


Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie 
Prep Time: approx. 10 minutes. Cook Time: approx. I hour.

Anne's recipe complete with 'Anne-Esque' note
1 9 inch deep dish pie crust (see recipe above)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teasp. ground cinnamon
1/2 teasp. salt
1/2 teasp. ground ginger
1/4 teasp. ground cloves
2 eggs
1 (15 ounce) Pure Pumpkin (Libby's if you can find it...)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can NESTLE CARNATION Evaporated Milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Celsius
2. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour in pie shell.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 C. Bake fore 40 - 50 minutes or until knife inserted near centre comes out clean. Cook for 2 hours on wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Chocolate Pecan Pie
1 1/4 cup lite corn syrup
1/2 cup lite brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 teasp. dark rum
1/2 teasp. vanilla extract
1/4 teasp. salt
1 3/4 pecan halves
3/4 cup choc chips
whipped cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celcius.
2. In a large bowl whisk the first 8 ingredients. Stir in the pecans. Scatter the chocolate over the prepared pie crust and cover with the filling. Bake until the centre is set, approx. 40 - 50 minutes. I ended up baking mine for 60 minutes this time. Cool or refrigerate completely. If you cut the pie when it is still warm, it crumbles and goes to mush.

The Finished Results, Half-Eaten


Analysis and Reflection
The pumpkin pie was velvety, but I thought it was too 'clovey' for my taste. Also, I forgot to add the cinnamon during the mixing and then tried to add if after it had been in the oven for 20 minutes...it didn't mix very well, and the finished product looked like it had mold was growing on top. Eek!

The pecan pie was sweet and intense, but it wasn't cooled properly, so when I cut it, it mushed in the middle. Also, I think I went a little heavy handed on the dark rum. Hiccup! However, Chad's relatives ate the two and showered me with compliments. If it were my own family, I'm sure they would've been more critical...I Heart Canadians!

I am not an expert baker - if you have any tips, please post in the comments section below.
Jody
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Serena said...

Love the pictures of the personalized recipes!