Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cancucks Go Crazy

I just went to my first Ice Hockey game. Canucks V's Minnesota. I was pretty excited to see a 'real game'...I watched it on T.V. last Saturday night, and I wasn't that interested in it. Plus, they were playing Minnesota. For me, Minnesota is the place that Brandon and Brenda from Beverly Hills 90210 came from, and it was Brandons favorite hockey team.

General Motors Place or GM Place (as the locals call it) is located down town Vancouver. Our seats were right at the very top of the stadium of 19,000. I felt very small and insignificant. I have never been to the MCG Footy Stadium in Melbournne, so I had never really had a 'real sporting experience' in a huge stadium. Come to think of it, I have never really watched a male dominated sport from the start to finish ever. It was a night of firsts.

Rickards beers in hand, Chad and I sat next to a lovely Vancouver-ite (born and bred is rare). She was a major hockey fan - and began to explain the jerseys to me, and the different logos. Suddenly, the lights dimmed, and and this fantastic light show began. Was I at a Madonna concert or an Ice Hockey game?

The drop of the puck I missed - too busy chatting to the girl beside me about the cute hockey players, but I soon became engrosed in the game...wow....watching sport is exciting! The girl beside me would comment after each missed goal opportunity, with an endearing cuss, 'Son of a ....', and stop there, afraid she would offend me. This was a girl that once won 'Fan of the Game' a few years back. I knew that she could do better!

As an ex-figure skater and field hockey player, I was down with the concept of the game, and was hanging out for some Biffo action...If this was a game against a rival hockey team, like Calgary, or Edmonton, there would be, but the Canucks were nice to the U.S. team. Poo. That was the one reason whey I wanted to see the game! I wanted to see some guy smash the crap out of another with his stick. The beauty of hockey is that you can pretty much get away with any contact at all with a 2 minute penalty. Nice. No footy tribunal here in Canada.

The fast paced skating was enthalling to watch and before I knew it, the game was almost over, and the 'Son of a ...' expletives turned into,'Come on! Son of a bitch, score, goddammit!'. That was more like it! The Canucks scored early, with Minnesota soon to follow. The game was now tied -and looking like it would go to penalty shoot outs. Even I was yelling at the team, getting wrapped up in the tension in the stadium. With 10 seconds to go and the Canucks on a Power Play, it wasn't looking incredibly hopeful...7 seconds to go, people were leaving...6 seconds to go, Holy Cow! The Canucks scored and the whole stadium stood up and cheered! The atmosphere was electrifying! Chad and I kissed. I could feel the love.

The Canucks had won! What a game. I think I am a fan.

No comments: