Monday, March 20, 2006

Love Japan

I love Japan.

Japan is fabulous.

I love it.

3 years was the perfect amount of time to wait to come back. Love Japan.

I was lucky enough to go to my old schools' Sotsugyoushiki (graduation ceremony). As I was a 'special guest', I was lucky enough to be able to rub noses with the famous Seto people, like the Mayor and Board of Education Minister. They remembered me, and somehow I had a conversation with them...I'm not exactly sure what I said to them, though...Although when they asked me a seemingly easy question in Japanese; 'Doko ni oraremasu ka?', I mistook it for them asking me 'Where am I?(now)', as opposed to the real meaning of 'Where are you living now?' and I dutifully replied, 'Nippon?'. Its true, I was in Japan as this very moment in time...but the tilt of their head to the left, confirmed that I wasn't in Nippon, and that I didn't know where I lived...
I taught the graduating students for about 4 months just before I left and some of them remembered me. The highlight of the ceremony is the speeches made by the 3rd and 2nd year students to each other. The speakers are told to speak loudly and strongly to the audience, but it comes across as a high pitched yell as they are fighting back the tears...(TO THE GRADUATING STUDENTS! YOU ALWAYS TREATED US SO WELL. THANK YOU! GOOD LUCK! FIGHT HARD IN YOUR LIFE!) I desperately tried not to laugh, as I was sitting in the 'Special Guest' section. And then the graduating students then sing a song to the 1st and 2nd years, and to their parents and they sing one back. When the ceremony is over, and the 3rd years depart the hall, their empty seats, are like a gaping hole in the hearts of the teachers, younger students, and the mothers. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, and I was even fighting back a tear or two, and I don't even really know them!....Love Japan.

I was also lucky to have a shuji lesson with Mamiya sensei. I still practise calligraphy in Canada, but was a bit rusty but produced some interesting work...I then had a Tea Ceremony lesson for 4 1/2 hours...I haven't drunk Matcha tea for 3 years, and it was a little hard to swallow after the 8th cup. But I performed the ceremony, and from somewhere in the recesses of my brain, I remembered the movements...Love Japan.
I found a wedding kimono in a 2nd hand shop in Kurashiki for 6000yen. Most of them retail for a thousands of dollars. It's 30 years old. Love Japan.

The beer is still shit and I hate it, but am compelled to drink it at Izakaya's(Japanese pubs). Love Japan.

Chuhai gives you horrible hangovers. Love Japan.

Japanese people still bow. Love Japan.

I ate enough food to feed the 3rd world in 2 weeks. My appetite is yet to return, 1 week after. Love Japan.

Kitsune Udon bought at a station platform restaurant is still better than any restaurant in the western world. Love Japan.
Okonomiyaki at Musashi's in Seto is still the best in the world. Love Japan.

Konbini (Convenience store) food is still amazing, and takuan- yellow dyed daikon radish at 12 am is still my number one choice for a late night snack. Love Japan.
Bitamin C drinks from Vending Machines when you feel like shit works wonders. Love Japan.
Actually, any drinks - hot or cold from a vending machine is great. Love Japan.

Tokyo still amazes me, and the 'Unchi-Biru' is the strangest building I have ever witnessed. The 'Unchi-biru', or Asahi beer building is an office building in the shape of a black beer glass with stylised yellow 'Froth' on top. Only, the froth looks like a poo, hence the name 'Unchi Biru'. 'Poo Building.' Love Japan.
I really enjoyed my time being back. Thanks to Mori, Rich, Bill, Ranna and the Sayama's, Mamiya Sensei, Sakon-Sensei, Hitomi, Hayashi-sensei, Yasuko, Toshie, Musashi Mama and Papa, Seto Town, Okayama, and Singapore Airlines, for making my time in Japan special!

No comments: