Monday, July 12, 2010

The Beginning of my Narcissistic Blog Life

Welcome to my new (old) blog! I am resurrecting my old blog, "Russian Undies" from near extinction; last post, 2006. This simple act has made me realize just how busy and all-consuming the last 4 years of my life has been. Teaching is not a simple profession. I feel as though I have given a kidney to the school I taught at since 2006. By some divine intervention, I've been recently forced into an early retirement or temporary absence from my drama teaching career. I've recently moved to Edmonton from Vancouver to once again follow a boy. This has led me to question and evaluate who I am, what I am doing with my life and how I am going to tackle the next chapter.

My close friends, (obviously envious of my new-found freedom) have spent the last couple of months creating interesting new career directions for my life, one of them being that I become a 'blogger'. At hearing the word, my mind is cast back to the first season of 'Californication' when Hank Moody is asked to start a blog by his best friend and literary agent 'Charlie'. When making the suggestion to Hank, Charlie covers his mouth and swallows the word, like he has is trying to keep vomit from spilling forth into his mate's whiskey. I can sympathize. Blog writing is weird! Yet, I read the blogs of other people. Blog's have become a powerful medium of self-expression. 'The Book of Awesome' for example came from the blog "1000 Awesome things". Simple concept, catchy idea = successful blog.

Simply stated, a blog is a public diary of one's innermost thoughts and ideas that wont necessarily have an audience. Already, I feel like I am not really telling you something new or exciting. Boredom is probably attacking you right now, like a homeless man asking for more money. This lack ofknowledge of your audience makes it very difficult to write something meaningful. Bridget Jones said it best: "It's only a diary. Everyone knows a diary is just full of crap". So it lends me to the question of what do I want to achieve by writing this blog? Do I want to make it like the 'Sartorialist' and capture the fashion and soul of Edmonton? Or maybe my angle is like 'Vancity Allie', who reviews and shares her west coast life of food, travel and entertainment gossip for all to envy? I'm not sure. But keep reading, because something interesting might just come out of this hair-brained idea...

No comments: