Wednesday, July 14, 2010

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do...

There was once a time not too long ago, that I didn't have much time. I always felt stretched between multiple places and people. As a teacher, I always had a play to direct, prop to buy, staff meeting to attend or English essay to mark; working in the private system means that you have to say 'yes' to everything - there is no union to protect your job. At one point, I was studying courses at university as well, so every weekend I would write essays on top of all my other responsibilities. Chad was equally as busy with his residency and medical study; we rarely had time together to enjoy Vancouver or to just spend time with each other. As a couple we got so bogged down on pleasing so many other people that we rarely had the time to dedicate time to being a couple and enjoying our life on the west coast together.

I photographed this sandwich board quote on my second last day in Vancouver. It was taken outside a cafe called Ouisi Bistro near 16th street. I really wish I had seen this at the beginning of my time in Vancouver. Saying 'no' to the demands that other people place on you is empowering. Finding time to spend with the one person you love or doing the things you love should be your number one priority. Work can overtake your life; as a teacher you feel compelled to say 'yes' for fear of being considered an apathetic or told you aren't doing a good job. Chad's call shifts meant that we often only had 2 weekends free a month. So the weekends we did have, we often felt too tired to go camping or hiking or on a mini-trip somewhere.

Maybe you already make the time to do things that you love. But if you are like us, I want you to try to dedicate more time each week to doing the things that truly make you happy. 'The fun is having lots to do and not doing it!' Just DON'T do it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: