Monday, February 14, 2011

Fun under $5


Chad and I are all about 'Fun Under Five Dollars' at the moment. The best, cheap fun we've found in Edmonton so far is ice skating at Hawrelak Park in Edmonton. I first took photos of this park in Autumn and uploaded them in the post "Fall Dayze." I am loving this park; it is fun all year round! AND it's cheap! Not just cheap, it's FREE to skate here between 11am and 10pm. Bloody bargain!
I've been told though, that nobody in Canada calls it 'ice skating'; it's just known as 'skating'. By saying, "I'm going skating," it's implied that you will be skating on ice, not roller-skates. I'm used to distinguishing the two because in Australia you can do both all year round.

I often skate in the evenings when there aren't too many people around to witness my skating skills. I used to be quite a good skater, but time has stolen my skills and I now stumble and grope my way around the ice. I also find that my lower back aches after 5 laps of the lake. A sign of the times that I'm not as young and agile as I used to be.

Skating on an outdoor lake is such a treat. It certainly beats Adelaide's rink, The Ice Arena where I learned to carve up the silvery cold dance floor. Many a Saturday morning was spent training and spinning with other young whipper-snappers. The best part of the day was after my lesson; mum and I would eat chips (fries) with sauce and vinegar and sooth my bruises and wounds with hot chocolate. Nowadays, I'm so scared of falling that I barely get a breeze going as I gingerly shuffle my way around. I must look as skilled as an octogenarian with arthritis crossing the road.

The day that Chad and I went skating was a crisp -6 degrees. A comparatively warm day compared to the weather we'd experienced prior. The sun was shining and we skated around the lake mitten-in-mitten. There were families and kids enjoying the sunshine and the respite to the freezing temperatures. It was the best 'fun under five' we'd had for a while. Yet another plus for Edmonton.


Happy Valentines Day!

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Charmaine Poulin said...

Oh so fun!!!!!! Love your Valentine!!!!