Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bad Boy Dragon Child Night 2

Night 2 DOWN!

We followed the "B" bedtime routine: Bath, Boobs, Books, Bed. I woke him up from the boob after 7 minutes. He was very confused and patiently listened while I read "Goodnight Moon" and "Guess How Much I Love You" before I put him in his crib. He blew raspberries. Rocked from side to side. Played with Murasaki-san (his Cuski). Tried to suck my fingers a bit (but I'm reluctant to let him do this as it might become a new negative sleep association). I repeated my phrase: "It's nen-ne (Japanese for sleep) time, baby." He cried. Held my hand. Rocked. Cried some more, but without the force of the night before. I remained strong and did not pick him up. My husband began snoring in the bed beside us. Dragon Boy must have heard dad snoring, so he too rolled onto his side and began to sleep. I looked at my clock: 30 minutes had passed. A massive improvement from the night before. I celebrated my success of putting both baby and husband to bed within 30 minutes with a bowl of ice cream. No alcohol necessary. 


He briefly woke an hour later, and again I did not pick him up but repeated the settling techniques. He settled again in 20 minutes. 


Come 11 pm though, he woke and cried with intent, so I fed him thinking it would be a dream feed. However, this began an every 2-hour wake-feed scenario. Reluctant to wake Hubby, I succumbed to his need to feed, but was conscious of cutting him off before he fell totally asleep. This was repeated at 1 - 3 - 5 - 7. Bad Boy Dragon strikes again! 


Sucesses for the night: falling asleep by himself within 30 minutes with minimal crying; sleeping in bed until 7 am. He woke happy and played until 8:30 am. Back to bed at 8:45 am and he put himself to sleep with me sitting beside him within 30 minutes. 


Aim for Day 3: to cut out a night feed.


Progress? A little...Exhaustion Level? 9/10


No comments: