Friday, September 14, 2012

Bad Boy Dragon Child Night 4

My mantra for parenting is: "If it's easy, it's probably wrong." 

BBDC didn't cope well with me sitting on the bed away from his crib. So I interspersed sitting on the bed calling out that it was sleepy-time and going over to pat his bum every 10 minutes. This seemed to satiate his need to have me close by, but didn't seem as mean as letting him 'cry it out alone.' It took him 30 minutes to settle again. It seems to be the magic number for him. He did 2 x 4-hour sleeps, waking at 11 pm and 3 am. Huge improvement. However, he woke again 5 am and 7 am. I fed him back to sleep every time - it was easy and yes, wrong, but after two 4-hour sleeps I was even more tired than usual (how does that work?). But, it's become apparent that my inconsistency with sleep-time/napping is restricting him from sleeping longer. So, this morning I implemented the same strategies with day-time naps. It took 30 - 45 minutes this morning to get him to sleep. Compared to the 10-minute feed-to-sleep routine it's much slower and I feel like I will loose my precious day time to relax and catch up on things, but I have to trust that I will hopefully have longer periods of time when he learns to self-settle. I would love 2 x 2-hour naps of free time to do things around the house! Combine that with 8-hours sleep and I will become a super-mum! 

Alchohol Consumed: 1 glass of chardonnay by See Ya Later wines
Sweets: 1 x bowl of ice cream (must work out soon - can feel bum getting bigger by the day)
Achievements: 2 x 4-hour stretches
Failures: Feeding to sleep during the night
Aims: Consistency with nap routine and cutting out a feed during the night

No comments: