Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bad Boy Dragon Child

Sleep Training is more about training the mum and dad than training the baby. At last, we have stopped traveling enough to start the Sleep Sense program. It seemed easy enough: sit by his bed until he falls asleep in his bed. 40 minutes into it, I got the guilts and picked him up thinking he hadn't been burped. He stopped crying immediately. I put him back down. He cried. My husband tag-teamed me at the 45 minute mark. I ate dinner and watched The Big Bang Theory in an attempt to  drown out his screams. It didn't work. I went back up at the 75 minute mark and he clutched my thumb and whined himself to sleep. It was a deep, painful whine. I hadn't heard that sound out of him before. It was the sound that an adult makes when they are still sad and want to cry, but the tears haven't had a chance to regenerate. Thankfully, I shed some for him. As his eyes closed, mine filled with tears. I prayed my sniffling wouldn't re-awaken him. We tip-toed out the room with heavy hearts. He is a powerful baby. 

He woke half an hour later and screamed for another 50 minutes. Husband did this shift. 25 minutes in, I tip-toed upstairs to relieve him and woke him. First fail. 20 minutes more and he slept again. 


Fed him at 12:43am then I woke with a start at 3:48 am worried about him. I shined my iPhone light over him and he was in the same position as when I left him at 12:43 am. Touched him to see if he was breathing and woke him from a very deep sleep. Fail number 2! Felt guilty, so fed him back to sleep. Sadly, couldn't do the same to me and I laid awake for 3 hours until my husband had to get up to go to work. After a brief 5:30 am waking,  he slept until 7:45 am. Progress? Not sure. He was happy to see me when he woke. But I have Night 2 to contend with tonight! 

1 comment:

Charmaine Poulin said...

Awwww, sending big hugs to you. It'll be worth it, even though heartbreaking. I cried too, while training mine. xox