Thursday, November 04, 2010

You Capture: Wednesday, First Entry

It was a sad day, yesterday. I had to send my Nikon to the Nikon hospital in Richmond, BC. It got packed up in a neat little Fedex carton, sealed and taken from my warm arms. $168.00 and a small part of my soul later, it was off on a big adventure. An adventure that it will not capture. I feel like I have sent it away to war. I don't know what state it will be returned in or if I will ever see it again. Perhaps, it will be replaced with a new one. Since January, my D90 has slowly been malfunctioning, and it is getting to the point that I cant turn it on without it freaking out at me. When I turn it on, the aperture sets itself at f/90 and then the shutter speed moves to 240. I try to take a photo and it blinks ERROR and then the only way I can clear it is to remove the battery. Perhaps it is angry that I am now using the M mode much more often than I used to...Maybe it too, is sad about leaving Vancouver and feels like this dusty city will infect its lens and particles will enter its fragile cavity thus rendering it useless. I would never let that happen, but dust is small and invasive. At any moment it could attack. I can't protect it from everything this world will throw at it. But now, I am without my baby. All I have is my small Nikon Coolpix s600. As I have just begun to enter Scavenger Hunts and the online photo blogging world, I feel like I have to keep up my involvement, or I will become apathetic about the whole process. So, I am going to use my little Nikon and draw from my archive of the pics that I have taken recently in the last month only. Apologies for slightly breaking the rules, but I really don't want to loose momentum! Besides, it is too much fun!

First Attempt At You Capture Entry: SILENCE

My 'You Capture' photo was taken in Vancouver 2 weeks ago. It is a photo of the Millenium condo complex that is now being deemed a government embarrassment. Built quickly to house the Olympians during Olympics, it hasn't been as popular with Vancouverites as expected. Besides that, the apartments are small and expensive. $700, 000 for 800 sq. ft? No thanks!! 

I call this  photo "Inception" because it looks like a scene from the film. Most of Vancouver is vibrant and happening...this area looks like a ghost town and is very SILENT. What a shame, because the location is amazing.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Charmaine Poulin said...

OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!!! I hope it gets fixed!!!

Ashley Sisk said...

I love the shot but I hope you get your camera back soon!

Amy @ Cheeky Cocoa Beans said...

Great shot! Welcome to You Capture. :) I hope you hear some really good news about your camera soon!!