Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloweekend Madness!

Halloween is so much fun!

I think the best part of the holiday is seeing people in costume doing mundane things: Darth Veda serving coffee at Starbucks, buying groceries from E.T., seeing Pippy Long-stocking wait for a bus.

I witnessed the most classic moment during a volunteer shift at the Fringe Trans Alta Barn theatre on Saturday night. Saturday wasn't technically 'Halloween Eve', but most parties were being held on the 30th; we expected to see people out in costume on this night. Surprisingly, the entire line up were fairly conservatively dressed. We let the line  into the theatre, slowly taking ticket stubs. At the very last moment before the show began, a couple entered the foyer. The guy was dressed in a 70's punk outfit 'Sid-Vicious-esque' and his partner was dressed as a Playboy Bunny. (Thankfully, she had the figure for it). I was so completely mesmerized by her ample boobage that had been shoved unceremoniously into her tight corset that I didn't get to see what made up the bottom part of her outfit until they passed us to move into theatre. She was wearing nothing but fishnets and lacy ass-exposing underwear. The other volunteers and I were in shock - was she wearing bunny ears? A tail at least? I don't remember. Seeing our shock, the front-of-house manager comes up to us and says,'You want to know the best part? They aren't even going out tonight. I asked them at the door where they were off to after the show, and she said she dressed up specifically to come to the theatre.' That is what I call effort.

Our Hallow's Eve was pretty tame this year. The theatre-going Playboy bunny was the most excitement I had by far. But, we had the honor of being the plus 2 to the quietest party I have ever been to in my life. "Quiet" in the sense that there were 30 people in costume shoved into a small condo whispering and watching first a lesbian vampire film and then the Rocky Horror Picture Show with the volume down for fear that the guy who rented the apartment would get kicked out for making too much noise...laughter induced angry 'Shhh's'.  

My favorite part of the weekend was trick-or-treating with Chad's cousin's kids. As a child, I missed out on the trick or treat tradition, so it is always wonderful to watch the neighbourhood come alive with kids in costume. Why can't we have this type of tradition more than once a year? 

Here are some of the shots I took from both events. See Flickr for more.

Rider the Giraffe

Photoshop Experiment

A Viking, Giraffe and a Witch

Self Explanatory

Awesome decorations

So cute!!

Not so cute!!!

Chad the Mexican Magician

Nao the dead stab victim

This is what living in Edmonton does to you.

Smooth the moustache...find the bunny


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Ashley Sisk said...

These costumes are so great. I love the giraffe.